Thursday, March 17, 2011

Indiana's Gay Marriage Ban

So I've been in a no-good-foul-totally-horrible mood for several days now. There's no one thing that I can definitely say is the reason I'm in a funk. There's quite a bit. I've been eating junk for weeks. I'm absolutely ready for the dude to be home from Indianapolis. I'm itching for a change. Something new and interesting to devote my attention and creativity towards. And despite what my last blog indicates, I learned today that some people are not capable of change or introspection and that gets me way, way down.

No matter what the cause, the result of said funk (that even a mani/pedi couldn't shake!) is a relative lack of writing.

Be that as it may, I wanted to take a moment to mention what's going on in my home state. Indiana is on its way to a constitutional ban on gay marriage. I don't have the words to express how sad this makes me. Not only will it codify hate into Indiana law, but is also an insult to all Hoosiers. In a time of widespread budget issues, conservative lawmakers in Indiana have chosen to devote time, resources, and attention to outlawing something that is already not legal.

It's a slap in the face to all LGBTQQI Hoosiers, their families, and allies. It's an attempt to further deny something already denied.

My friends back home participated in a march to protest the ban. I wish I could have been there...this is something that I care so deeply about and I am so ashamed of my home state.

Not only are these attempts to outlaw gay marriage straight up bigotry, they also just aren't smart policy for republicans to continue to pursue into the future. Fact of the matter is that, as the oldies die off, so will opposition to gay marriage. (Don't believe me? Look at the various generational opinions of gay marriage.) So putting a ban into place is a totally foolish waste of time and a won't make the conservative viewpoint popular into the future.

Ah well, thinking about all of this is just going to bring me down further. I try to imagine that someday gay marriage will be legal, we'll have a female president, and no co eds will be making horrifically racist online rants. I've got to keep trying to imagine it, otherwise I might cry.

Cue Debbie Downer sound.

1 comment:

  1. I had really great comment and then I realized I wasn't signed in. I thought it would save but it didn't. But bottom line is I totally agree with you on that. Way to go Indiana, I thought we were progressing.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has strict comment moderation intended to preserve a safe space. Moderation is managed solely by the blog author. As such, even comments made in good faith will be on a short delay, so please do not attempt to resubmit your comment if it does not immediately appear. Discussion and thoughtful participation are encouraged, but abusive comments of any type will never be published. The blog author reserves the right to publish/delete any comments for any reason, at her sole discretion.

TL;DR Troll comments are never published, so don't waste your time.